Skip to content

I’m here!

March 4, 2016
tags: ,

Wednesday night, after sitting on the plane at LAX for an hour, we finally took off for Nadi, Fiji at 11:35 pm. Thankfully it wasn’t a totally full flight and I managed to move to an empty 2 seat row. Not ideal for sleeping, but MUCH better than having only one seat! I contorted my body every which way and was able to finally get a few short naps here and there. The flight was uneventful, the food fairly unedible (sadly), and the staff delightful (of course). I discovered just how wonderful they were when about 45 minutes before we landed I somehow dropped my little mp3 played down into the plane seat and was unable to get it out. The flight attendants took apart that seat as best as they could but no such luck. We could see it, but couldn’t get to it. They told me we’d have to wait for the engineer to come on board after we landed, so that he could take it apart further. (We could have gotten it out ourselves by this point, but unfortunately one of the other FAs had managed to knock it down into a hole we could not get to.) So I ended up being the last person off the plane, on a flight that had  already landed 35 minutes late, and I still had to clear immigration and customs and catch a bus by 7:30.  It was interesting to see what the plane looks like after all of the passengers have disembarked. The plane was full of cleaning staff who were all standing there staring at me. I wish I had thought to take a picture of that. Anyway, I was in line at immigration at 7:04 am, and somehow managed to get through that process AND customs AND exchange some money and still make the 7:30 bus! God definitely worked that out for me!

The 4 hour bus ride was better than I expected. I was able to sit up front and look out (and not get sick!) and enjoy the views. Everything is so lush and green! But by the time we pulled in to Suva, everything had changed and suddenly we were in a city again.

I wish I could post all of the phone pics I snapped along the way but that will have to wait until another day. I still don’t have internet on my phone (or at the house) and am using a computer in the school.

So much to write about but at least you all know I made it safely here. Hopefully I will have a chance to write more later.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: